Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

It is Finished!


Remember this big guy I snatched up for free at the Houston Re-Use Warehouse?

Well, a few thousand staples and 4 yards of fabric later
It now looks like this...


I am really proud of how it turned out. Not only was this my first attempt at hard core re-upholstering, but I can honestly say it has been my toughest project to date.

Just to get to this, took me 5 hours... not to mention gave me some massive blisters!

I had to do a lot of research to even know where to start, but thankfully the blog world had lots of tutorials out there!
Plus, the place I bought all my supplies online had some super cool, and by cool I mean outdated but full of information, videos!
The sides were the toughest part. This is definitely not perfect, but for my first time and on a free chair, I think it's great!


One of the best parts of the project was that it forced me to purchase an air staple gun and air compressor! I have been wanting a reason to get those and since this would have been impossible with out it- I finally bit the bullet!


Here is where it sits as of today. I am not crazy about it next to the zebra chair, but I'm going to live with it for a little bit. I am also working on a stool, turned ottoman to go with the new chair. Hopefully that will be up soon!



Here are some details about the supplies I purchased from www.DIYupholsterysuppy.com


Upholstery Tacking Strip, Metal, 27" Each3 $0.45 $1.35
27 Bonded Dacron / by the yard4 $2.75 $11.00
Upholstery Tack Strip/Cardboard1 $3.99 $3.99
Upholstery Supplies, Ply Grip by the running foot5 $0.38 $1.90
They were by far the most reasonably priced and you could buy what you needed without having to purchase large quantities of stuff. Shipping was a little slow, but other than that it was great!


The fabric is from a local fabric warehouse here in Houston.

I hope you all like the chair. It was tough, but so worth it. Really all it takes is a lot of patience. Oh, and about a thousand staples..but I already told you that!






* I link my projects to the following blogs whose links you can find on my side bar
- Todays creative Blog
- Someday Crafts
- Somewhat simple

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! That's awesome! I finally did some work on a chair too, but need to screw the back on to call it finished. It was my firt reupolstery project and it was stinking hard...and time consuming. You chair looks awesome!!! You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw your chair on apartment therapy. it looks AMAZING!!!!!!! i have no idea how to reupholster, something i would like to attempt to do at some point, but i don't think i could ever do something so amazing!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm speechless!!! FABULOUS job!!!

    Patience

    http://whitelacquer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I have a wingback chair very similar to that, and I've been thinking of reupholstering it. Out of curiousity, how many yards of fabric did you need?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Awesome job. The stripping and prep of a piece is the most laborous part of upholstery. So many think of it as "add water and stir" when they have no idea how long it takes to remove so many tacks and staples.
    Great job. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That chair looks really great. I am going to be reupholstering a couch with a lot of curvy lines. What are some of the websites and tutorials that you found helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you were in one of my classes. You'd be so amazed at some of the tricks and you already have hands on experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ErikaKay: check out some of my tutorials at www.modhomeec.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Love the fabric! Great job, girl! I have a wing back recliner I am wanting to re-upholster. Wanna come to Missouri to help with that?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like einstein wasn't the only genius... you are utterly brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! What did you think?

Remember, if asking a question to click on "subscribe by email" Thanks!